New Year, New Goals
A new year has come again, and that means it’s time to revisit and renew your goals for better health. There’s no better time to evaluate your health, assess your wellness and to start making healthy changes.
Goal setting may not be the easiest thing to do but setting SMART goals can set you up for long-term success.
SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Trackable.
Using SMART goals makes it much more likely you’ll reach your target, which also helps keep your
motivation high. And setting these health goals shouldn’t be stressful.
Remember, each action you take towards better health is a positive step in the right direction and using
the SMART framework can help you stay calm and focused.
Set aside a few minutes right now to get started by using our handy ‘how to’ guide on setting SMART health goals below.
- Be Specific. Exercising more or eating better are good ideas but nearly impossible to quantify.
Aim for specific goals like exercising daily or eating less than 25 grams of sugar each day
- Make it Measurable. Set a measurable goal like exercising 5 x per week for 20 minutes.
- Make it Attainable. Avoid aiming too high or too low. Your health goals should be attainable
relative to your current commitments and habits.
- Be Realistic. Determine what changes you can realistically and reasonably commit to when
considering your current health habits.
- Make it Trackable. This is key. Goals that are trackable help you monitor your progress
throughout the year and let you know when it’s time to celebrate your successes.
Jumpstart Your Journey
Don’t let your new year’s resolutions go unfulfilled.
Remember, by setting SMART goals, you’ll be able to jumpstart your journey to better health.
And if you’re near Brighton and you’ve been living with chronic pain or learning to live with a new
injury, book an appointment with us today.
We’re here to help you accomplish your health goals for 2022 and beyond, and that starts with getting you off the
sidelines and back in the game!
Setting Smart Goals for Success. Mayo Clinic Health System. 2020.