Arthritis is a joint disorder. The joints are inflamed which can cause significant pain and can interfere with an individual’s regular daily routine. A lot of people suffering from arthritis depend on medications to relieve the pain but depending on drugs is not a very healthy option. So we’ll be sharing four simple secrets to relieve pain caused by arthritis without the use of drugs.
Secret 1: Hypnotherapy. Controlling your mind about how you perceive the pain definitely eases the pain or even stops your brain from recognising that you are in pain. Hypnotherapy doesn’t let you lose control over your mind, it’s the complete opposite. You are gaining control over your own mind to stop the brain from perceiving the pain you feel.
Secret 2: Exercise. Just because you have arthritis doesn’t mean you shouldn’t exercise. There are exercises that can help you if you have arthritis such as:
Walking. Walking maintains joint flexibility and builds the strength of joints which is good for arthritis because it is mainly caused by an inflammation of the joints.
Tai Chi. A martial art exercise that originated from China that includes flowing fluid like circular movement of the arms and legs that allows you to relax and improves your range of motion.
Yoga. This relaxing activity provides relief to stiff muscles and relieves sore joints through the use of deep breathing techniques, controlled movements, stretches and pressures.
Exercise in warm water. This eases stiff joints and eases muscles that are sore. Water allows the body to move in full motion without any pressure or difficulty.
Our physiotherapist can advise on specific exercises and put a tailored programme together. Click here for more information.
Secret 3: Lose the extra weight. Keeping your weight within normal ranges greatly lessens the pressure on your load bearing joints. If you know your weight has gone a bit overboard then now would be a good time to go on a healthy diet.
Secret 4: Watch what you eat. Some foods will affect the level of pain you feel and the level of inflammation in your joints. Eat a diet that consists of raw nuts and seeds, vegetables and fruits. Follow this regimen for 30 days and observe if the pain is caused by something you eat or is greatly lessened because of your present diet. Another healthy option is to snack on raw nuts and fruit smoothies. Foods that can cause inflammation of the joints are caffeine, sugar, salt, fast food, and processed food which you should avoid.
Now that you have the secrets to relieve pain caused by arthritis, you are on the way to easy and healthy recovery without the use of medications. To sum up the secrets, simply change your diet, lose the extra weight, exercise and control your own mind. This takes dedication but is worth it if you really want to get rid of the arthritis pain that has been bugging you.
Physiotherapy is a therapy that makes use of physical techniques to relieve pain and increase mobility. Physiotherapists will often use exercise as a treatment. So here are a few easy physiotherapy exercises for your back, neck and feet that you can do at home to help yourself.
Tips to get the most out of these exercises.
Repeat each exercise at least 5 times and increase this number over time.
Remember quality of the movement is better than quantity, so, stay focused on the area of the body you are exercising.
Slow, smooth movements are best.
Physio exercises to do at home for back pain and neck pain
Physio exercises to do at home for Shoulder Impingement
More physiotherapy exercises to do at home
Back exercises. Many people go to physiotherapists with back pain. Here are two exercises that help to relieve pain and reduce stiffness in the back:
1. Lie on your back with both of your legs straight. In this position, bring your left knee up close to your chest. Hold this position for 10 seconds. Return your leg to the straight position. Repeat with the right leg.
2. Stand up with your arms on your side. Bend to the left side while slowly sliding your left hand down your left leg. Come back up slowly and relax. Repeat with the right side of your body.
Neck exercises. These are great exercises if your neck is strained from staring at a computer screen all day long. Do these exercises sitting up straight in your chair and do not slouch!.
1. Keep your eyes centred on one object directly in front of you, now slowly move your head back. You will now be looking at the roof. Keep your whole body still. Hold this position for 5 seconds and slowly return your head to the start position.
2. Keep your eyes centred on one object directly in front of you, now slowly move your head down. You will now be looking at the floor. Keep your whole body still. Hold this position for 5 seconds and slowly return your head to the start position.
3. Keep your eyes centred on one object directly in front of you, turn your head to the left, your vision should be in line with your left shoulder. Turn your head as far as you can and hold the position for 5 seconds. Slowly relax as you return your head to the start position.
Foot exercises. Do the following exercises barefoot:
1. First write digits 1 to 10 using your toes raised up in the air.
2. Sit on a chair, raise your toes and curl them
3. Pick up a small piece of cloth off the floor using your toes.
4. Still in a sitting position, point your toes and circle your ankles in a slow counter and clockwise motion.
5. Stand up from the sitting position and go on tip toe for 5 seconds.
You can even do these exercises at work, so there is no excuse! You’ll be happy with the results. For more information visit our physio page by clicking here.
If you get significant pain on doing these then stop and seek our advice.